ANNOUNCEMENT! Active posting at this site has ended (no more picture room). Please continue reading Smith Stories at http://smithstories2nblog.blogspot.com/. You'll be automatically redirected to the new site in "
15
"seconds unless you CLICK HERE!

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Long Weekend Recap

We had a fantastically long weekend thanks to Josh's compressed schedule! He gets every other Monday off, and since this past Monday was a holiday AND his regularly scheduled Monday off, his day off got pushed back to Tuesday! It was so nice to have such a chunk of time at home as a family :)

Saturday was Daddy and Jackson day because I had the last of my tests to take in order to finally get my Virginia teaching license! I knew that I would be gone most of the day because I had two testing sessions--one starting at 8am and the other starting at 1pm. I assumed that each session was two hours since that's how pretty much every test I have taken has gone. Each one was FOUR hours! Luckily, we were allowed to leave as we finished so I still had a break between. That was not a fun surprise! That was the longest I had been away from Jackson, but it seems like he and Josh had a fun day :)

On Sunday Auntie Em and Uncle Josh come over to go out to lunch and play. We had a really good time visiting with them and wedding planning!!! On a related note, we booked our flights and hotel rooms for their wedding in New Orleans in May! We are really excited!

This picture shows Jackson's new love of bringing a toy over and then climbing into my lap to play with it! Sometimes he brings over more than one toy or a book, but it's so fun! He is still really great at playing by himself, but it's super cute when he makes it clear that he wants us to play WITH him!

On Monday I took Jackson with me for a run, and when we got back our neighbors were raking their leaves. After I unloaded Jackson from the stroller, he stood by the front door for at least ten minutes just watching them rake! Such cheap entertainment!

On Tuesday we got to enjoy Josh staying home for another day! We could get used to this! Jackson had a rough day that started with no nap in the morning :( We do have our days when he needs to cry it out a bit before he settles in for a nap, but yesterday I could just tell there was no calming down. Unfortunately, he had already woken up Josh with all the crying :( Fortunately, James seems able to sleep thru anything! I took the boys for a run (Jackson fell asleep in the stroller almost immediately--go figure!) and then we came home and picked up Josh and Pax and took a really nice, long walk up to the lake near our house. It was such a beautiful day! The afternoon ended up being pretty hectic. Jackson went down pretty hard for his afternoon nap, and slept for barely an hour. Yikes! He was not a happy camper after waking up either. We decided that we would put him down as early as possible for bed since he obviously did not get enough sleep yesterday. The earliest I could manage was 6:10 once we had dinner and a bath. Phew! It was quite the afternoon! There were definitely some cute moments though:

The bug fireman on his way to his next adventure!

Deep in conversation!

James trying on the deeley-bobbers!

Working hard on sharing and letting James have a turn with the deeley-bobbers :)

Jackson still loves when we build his towers for him, but he is getting pretty awesome at building them himself :)

Now this is how you drink!

Pausing for a photo-op! Daddy was running back and forth with him across the kitchen. Apparently, it was quite hilarious!

I feel like we are making progress on our sleep training. Putting Jackson to bed earlier has definitely made a difference. While he still wakes up at 5 or 5:30 pretty consistently, at least we know he's getting more like 11 hours of sleep instead of 9.5 or 10. I am leaving him in his crib until at least 6. There have been two mornings recently when he has skipped the first wake-up and just cried at 6! YAY! Progress! I also think the middle of the night wakings are getting better, but those are more sporadic. We still have a mix. I am glad to see that the theory of earlier to bed=longer and better sleep is still true even though Jackson is a bit older. I don't know if we will be able to change his wake-up time (maybe once we are down to one nap?), but at least I feel like I have a way to help him if I know he's not getting enough sleep. We also know it's the right choice because he doesn't even fight it a little when we put him down early. Poor little guy :(

No comments: